BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
September 15, 2009
Attendees: Duggan(chair), Avalos, Becker, Cavins, German, Guinard, Leung, Scott, Sherwin, VanRompay & Weaver. Absent: Chang, El-Nakhal, Handy, Schiffman,Schutz, Sieber & Yates.Guest: Rick Gonzales, YoloCounty educator.
The president convened the meeting at 7:10 PM.
- Consilio Event: The president suspendedthe agenda to permit Mr. Rick Gonzales to announce the Yolo County Consilio’s26th annual dinner dance and service awards ceremony on 10/17/09, at which IHDBoard member Hamza el-Nakhal will be recognized. Gonzales departed following his presentation.
- Consent Calendar (previously distributed electronically):
- Minutes of 7/21 Board meeting: Cavinsmoved to approve the minutes as submitted. The motion carried unanimously.
- Information Reports(noted by Board):
- Report of Developmentcommittee’s 9/1/09 meeting, submittedby Van Rompay.
- ExecutiveDirector’s report for Aug.-Sept. 2009,submitted by Sherwin. German askedthat the report be modified to credit that the entire volunteer coordinationcommittee with the selection of the new volunteer coordinators. The change was accepted.
- Board meetings in 2009-10: Thepresident reviewed the meeting dates for FY2010. No meetings are scheduled for August or December, and theFebruary 2010 meeting will be held on the 23rd rather than the usualthird Tuesday of the month. Cavinsmoved to accept the calendar as proposed, which was approvedunanimously.
- Vanderhoef International Lecture: Thepresident announced that the provisional date for the inaugural Vanderhoeflecture, featuring UCD chancellor emeritus Larry Vanderhoef, will be Mondayevening, 11/16/2009.
- Invitation to Chancellor Katehi: Thepresident proposed that an invitation be tendered to the new UCD chancellor tovisit I-House. The question of theinvitation’s timing and context was referred to the program committee fordiscussion and recommendation.
- FY 2009 Budget: Pending a final report bythe treasurer and CPA Pam Mainini, the president announced that IHD finishedthe fiscal year with an approximate net deficit of only $700, which included aloss in the value of investments of $39,500.
- FY 2010 Budget: The president noted thatIHD’s contract with UCD will be extended at last year’s level, while IHD can beassured of only $5,000 of the City of Davis’ prior stipend of $15,000. The net profit from the WorldLearning/Community Connections program will be applied entirely to the FY2010budget year. Inasmuch as theprovisional FY2010 budget was not yet completed, the president proposed thatthe Board modify its motion from its July meeting to authorize IHD to operatetemporarily on its FY 2009 budget for one additional month to 11/1/09. Weaver moved to approve this proposal, which passed unanimously.
- The president distributed a final profit/lossstatement, prepared by the treasurer, on the Community Connectionsprogram. He called attention tothe fact that IHD netted additional income of $1518.92 beyond the programadministration fees guaranteed by the original contract. Guinard moved that this additionalincome be divided evenly between I-House and program coordinator MaynardSkinner. The motion carriedunanimously.
- Cavins moved that IHD transmit a letter to Skinnerthanking him for his initiative and leadership of the program. The motion carried unanimously. Becker volunteered to draft thisletter, intended for the president’s signature, in collaboration with the ED. Regarding IHD participation in futureCommunity Connections activities, Becker moved that the aforementioned letteralso transmit to Skinner I-House’s desire to participate in future visits,including at least one during FY2010 if acceptable scheduling can bearranged. This motion wasapproved unanimously.
- Membership: VanRompay reported falling membership income during first 2-1/2 months of FY2010compared with the previous year.
- Fund Raising: Van Rompay reported thatthe City of Davis has made the Veterans Memorial Center available to IHD at nocharge on 2/14/2010. TheDevelopment and Program committees will jointly consider ideas and options fora fundraising event.
Weaver reported on the committee’sAugust 6 meeting, at which an Iran speaker program, a proposed health carepanel, and the committee’s FY 2010 goals were the principal topics ofdiscussion.
Germanreported that she was unsuccessful in locating any appropriate supplementaryliability insurance policy that would protect I-House against claims of sexualassault or harassment against children on the premises. She moved that I-House adopt adefinitive policy on children’s programs, containing the following provisions: (a) I-House will strive to provide familyprograms appropriate to children ages 0-18; (b) these programs will requireparental/guardian supervision at all times; and (c) I-House will not accept anyproposed programs, classes, or events where sufficient numbers ofparents/guardians are not in constant attendance. Under these conditions, German stated that the proposed Yoloart education program and future summer camps could not be hosted byI-House. The motion carriedwithout objection.
- Lecture/discussion by CSUS Prof. Buzz Fozouni on“US-Iran Relations” – Thursday, 9/24/09.
- International Students Welcome Party – Friday,9/25/09.
- October Board meeting – Tuesday, 10/20/09.
The meeting adjourned at 9:45 PM.
Submitted by Rick Becker, Board Secretary