INTERNATIONAL HOUSE DAVIS
Board of Directors’ Regular Monthly Meeting
July 21, 2009
Attendees: Duggan (chair), Avalos, Cavins, Chang, German, Handy, Leung, Schiffman, Sherwin & Weaver. Absent: Becker, El-Nakhal, Guinard,Scott,Schutz, Sieber, Van Rompay & Yates.
The President called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM.
- Consent Calendar (distributed in advance to Board):
- Minutes of Regular Board meeting, 6/16/2009. German requested that the minutes indicate that 6/3/2009 was the date for the Volunteer Committee meeting and that Elisabeth Sherwin was also a committee member. Chang moved that the minutes be approved as amended. The motion passed unanimously.
- Information Reports (noted by Board):
- Program committee report of 7/2/2009, submitted by Weaver.
- ED’s monthly report for June-July 2009, submitted by Sherwin. The ED added orally to her report that, on recommendation of the Development committee, she recently sent a copy of a brochure promoting the rental of the IHD Community Room to UCD campus MSOs.
The President turned the chair over to German, who presided over the nomination and election of Board officers for 2009-2010. Duggan (Pres.), Handy (Vice Pres.), Becker (Sec.) & Schiffman (Treas.) were nominated; no additional nominations were received. Cavins’ motion to approve this slate passed unanimously.
Sherwin reported that the program was a significant organizational, cultural and financial success. IHD’s net income from the program was still pending final accounting. The one reported problem was greater than anticipated staff time needed to “jam” program details into our present QuickBooks; some bookkeeping challenges remained. The Board expressed its collective appreciation to Sherwin and Schiffman for their outstanding contributions to the program’s successful outcome. Schiffman moved that, in principle, IHD should go forward with an application for a second program. The motion carried without objection.
- FY-2009 Finances: The Treasurer presented a tentative summary, showing an annual loss of $21,631 that includes the reduced Fair Market Value (FMV) of investments. If FMV were excluded and Community Connections (which extended into the new FY) were included, IHD would close FY-2009 in the black by an estimated $30,000 surplus. Pam Mainini is still calculating final figures.
- Approval of Expenditures for July–Sept 2009: Pending presentation to the Board of a FY-2010 budget, the President moved that the Board adopt, temporarily, the FY-2009 expenditure levels for the 1st quarter. IHD staff will need to seek Board authorization if any expenditure goes significantly beyond the proposed levels. The motion carried unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 9:30 PM.
Submitted by Shirley German (Acting Sec.)/Rick Becker (Board Sec.)