INTERNATIONAL HOUSE DAVIS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
January 19, 2010
Present: Duggan (chair), Avalos, Cavins, Chang, German, Handy, Leung, Schiffman, Schutz,Sherwin & Van Rompay.Absent: Becker, El-Nakhal,Guinard & Sieber.
The president called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM.
- President’s Announcements:
- Lin Weaver resigned from the Board and as Programcommittee chair, effective 1/12/2010.
- The Board’s nextregular monthly meeting will be on 2/23/2010 (fourth Tuesday).
Report of Board’s monthly meeting on 11/17/09: Inasmuch as that meeting did not enjoy a quorum, Schutz moved that all Board decisions taken at the meeting be officially approved. The motion passed unanimously.
- UCD Picnic Day: Sherwin presented a proposal from office manager Zavala to serve carnitas at Picnic Day on 4/20/2010. The Board agreed in principal to IHD’s participation and to Duggan’s proposal that the Development committee work out details
- Allegations of IHD Bias: The president reviewed allegations of racial bias from four community members concerning a non-IHD sponsored event by the Davis Peace Coalition, which rented our space on 1/9/2010. The president said he addressed concerns in letters to the complainants, but suggested that IHD needed to take certain steps to protect itself:
- Publicity for events that are not IHD-sponsored or co-sponsored should clearly state that we have no association with or necessarily support the content of the event. An IHD disclaimer may be required.
- Be familiar with the mission/content/proposed purpose of the renting organization and event.
- Consider whether to limit our rentals based on their content and sponsoring organization.
- Consider differentiating the criteria governing IHD programs and rental events.
- Cavins proposed to sell popcorn at the UNA’s Friday night movies. UNA coordinators Verena & Ray Borton have agreed that proceeds could go into IHD’s general fund. Cavins agreed to take provisional responsibility for securing start-up funds and for cleaning/maintaining the IHD popcorn machine until more permanent arrangements are made.
- Handy noted that IHD should be searching for new Board members, and that he would elaborate on this topic at the next Board meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 8:36 PM.
Submitted by Shirley German (note taker) & Rick Becker (Board Secretary)