INTERNATIONAL HOUSE DAVIS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
February 23, 2010
Present: Duggan (chair), Becker, Cavins, Chang, Guinard, Handy, Leung, Schutz, Schiffman, Sherwin & Van Rompay. Absent: Avalos, El-Nakhal, German & Sieber.
The president called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.
- Consent Calendar (prior electronic distribution)
- Board minutes of 1/19/2010 (submitted by Becker): At the secretary’s request, the event dates missing from para. 7 (Development Committee report) were inserted. Handy clarified that para. 10 (Media and Communications) delete German as a task force member and include the following sentence: “The task force will take up other relevant topics as appropriate.) Re. para. 13 first bullet, Cavins clarified that he would only be initially responsible for the popcorn concession at the UNA Friday night movies. Chang moved that the amended draft be approved. The motion carried unanimously.
- Executive Director’s report (submitted by Sherwin): Noted by Board. Schiffman moved that the Board authorize the ED to attempt to reduce Code 3’s bill for the flooded basement cleanup via mediation or, failing that, initiate other legal action. The motion was approved without objection. The Board commended Robert Landry on his conscientious handling of the incident.
Finances: Treasurer Schiffman reported a budget deficit of around $15,000 as of the end of January. She added that a written profit & loss statement would be emailed to any Board member who requested it.
Reports of Executive Committee meetings of 1/19/2010 and 2/8/2010: The president updated the Board on the discussion and decisions taken at the two EC meetings on IHD’s future participation in the World Learning/Community Connections program. The EC approved the budget and work plan for the Georgian delegation recycling program, scheduled for April 2010. The EC also agreed in principle to host an Uzbekistan peach growing program proposed for June 2010, pending budget submission and contingent on Maynard Skinner’s continued direction of the program. The EC will also be the approving and oversight body for all major decisions relating to the Community Connections program.
Board Development Committee: Committee chair Handy set forth the objectives and timetable for the nomination and election at the April annual membership meeting of up to six new Board members to replace those who have already resigned or will end their terms in July 2010. A new Board president, other officers and standing committee chairs will also be named at the July Board meeting. Handy distributed a fact sheet on Board renovation and urged Board members to submit nominations as soon as possible.
Board of Directors’ Work Plan: Handy presented the outlines a proposed IHD work plan, aimed at focusing Board and staff attention, energies and resources during the next 24 months of IHD’s existence. Chang moved that the EC establish a planning process to develop and finalize a draft work plan, including specific goals and a timeline, for Board approval no later than the July Board meeting. The motion carried unanimously.
Volunteer Coordination: The president and Chang reviewed the committee’s meeting on 2/17/2010, devoted to reviewing and evaluating the volunteer recruitment process. The Board endorsed the committee’s request that IHD staff establish and distribute to volunteers an SOS contact list of decision makers to be called in emergency circumstances when the ED and office manager are not available.
Sen Award to the Volunteer of the Year: The president reminded that nominations are urgently requested, inasmuch the 2010 award is to be announced at the April membership meeting. IHD nominations and the recommendation must be in Arun Sen’s hands within a week.
Other Committee Reports:
- Report of Volunteer Coordination Committee meeting of 2/17/2010 (submitted by German). See discussion in para. 6 below.
- Program Committee: Becker reported on the committee’s meeting on 2/4/2010, which reviewed recruitment of a new chair, committee goals, and generation of new IHD sponsored and collaborative activities.
- Development Committee: Van Rompay reviewed planning for the annual fund-raising auction, scheduled for March 20.
The meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM.
Submitted by Rick Becker, Board Secretary